What to do when you lose your job? No matter how long you worked for the company, losing the job means much more than losing the income. You experience lots of negative emotions, especially when you believe you got fired for a wrong reason. You may feel even angry if the explanation was presented to you in a diplomatic way while in reality, it was actually a different reason behind it. In short, it hurts. In case you wanted to quit anyway but you weren't brave enough to take the step, consider yourself happy, and that they did you a favor. So, what now? Here are few steps:
1. Be angry or sad if you feel like it. You have the right.
2. Allow yourself few days without doing anything in particular. Enjoy some free time, as if you were on holiday. Spend time with friends and family. They will lift up your mood.
3. Figure out what was it that might have cost you the job and in case, there is something that you could have done differently. Life offers us lessons every day. If we learn something from them, we become better, our future will be brighter. Was there any lesson that you might consider useful?
4. Think what you would like to do in future. Maybe, that will give you the chance to go for something else. Think what you would really love to do, not only what work would bring good money. You want to have a ‘dream job', right?
5. As an alternative to No.4, maybe, now is the opportunity to open your own business, especially if you were constantly thinking of that in the past.
6. Make your homework. Prepare a good CV or a business plan, analyze the market, the companies that you would work for/with. Internet will help you tremendously at this point.
7. Think about what is the monthly income that will be sufficient for you. You might be surprised to see that you might settle for a lower income, but have more free time and peace of mind for yourself.
8. When you have accomplished everything above share your plan with your family and friends that you can always count on. You want their support and understanding, that's all. The rest is on you.
9. Action! Do your best, but without pressure.
10. Never give up!
As I mentioned, it is OK that you allow yourself to be angry, sad or any kind of negative emotion as the process will cleanse your mind and calm your ego. In any case, you shouldn't despair. Do not feel like it is the end of the world because it is not. There are always ways, you just need to be open and search for them. Persistence is the key. Believe in yourself. You may even realize that you will be happier to have some kind of job that will bring you lower income than in the past, but less pressure. Don't let the salary be the main criteria in your search. At the same time if that is what drives you, go for it as well. Don't allow limitations. Don't let rejections get to you.
You are not pursuing just another job, you are pursuing your dream. You are in search of something that you will love to do. Yes, you need to earn money, but you need also success, happiness, satisfaction, joy and inner peace to make your life complete.
Look at it as a definite opportunity given to you and, it is up to you to make the best out of it. It is your battle! Go there and win it! Good luck!
Thank you for reading. I would love to know your opinion. Use the COMMENT option below or feel free to use any of the below OPTIONS:
"How is it
that everything must
begin and end with you?
There you are,
perfuming the world with your scent.
Have you made a deal
with the moon so that you can linger
when she tapers off?
And what about the wind?
Even when he has been scolded
and is sitting in a corner, there you are,
my calm before the storm.
Despite the inevitable destruction
and my ruin, there you are again,
my calm after the storm.
I really must know:
'How is it
that there was never you
until there was
and then all was you?“
- Kamand Kojouri
FRIENDS & LINKS corner:
Angel Veselinov www.angeljoyful.com